As much as some people have called me “helmet head” because of my bangs which can partially obscure my eyes, it still doesn’t deter me from dressing up my eyes with eye makeup galore – I love my eyeliners, and recently, I’ve fallen in love with eyeshadows (especially these ones from CLIO and Laneige). I don’t usually put on the whole works (which includes mascara), simply cos I haven’t found an awesome one that works well and is easy to remove (without having to see my lashes fall like autumn leaves). Will this Maybelline one do it for me?
First of all, props to the double-ended wand applicator. I learned from the Laneige Christmas party that the trend for this festive season is long lower lashes aka very visible upper and lower lashes, so this is very useful (and value for money).
- The larger wand coats the upper lashes relatively evenly (not all lashes will get the same amount though, but it’s still bearable).
- There’s some very minor clumping if you apply several layers.
- It gives a rather decent uplifting effect. There’s not so much curling though, but hey, at least they’re up.
- It volumises the lashes and makes them look thicker.
- It can get a little spidery if you have too many coats, so perhaps you might want to standby a lash comb (or use a brow comb if you don’t have one).
- The smaller wand also coats the lower lashes rather evenly, but I had a slight problem with having enough mascara – I needed several coats to get the effect in the picture.
- It lengthens rather significantly, and without giving that fake effect too.
- That said, if you’re looking for a dramatic look in terms of lower lashes, then this might not do it for you.
- There’s no flaking.
- However, there’s very slight smudging halfway through the day, but nothing of the raccoon eyes.
- It’s also rather easy to remove with my Innisfree Juicy Apple Emulsion.
Overall: It’s not too bad – it lifts and thickens. However, I’d say get this for the lower lash wand rather than the upper lash one. Lancome’s Grandiose (despite its hefty price tag) gives more curling and lifting in comparison.