It’s a very common misconception that whitening products can be stripping, drying and harsh on the skin. Well, to be honest, some products do have such effects, but there are also others that are gentle on the skin while being relatively effective. Here’s one that I’ve procured from Korea 😀 (yeah right, that makes me sounds so professional hurhurhur – I was just on one of my usual uncontrollable shopping binges).
Now the initial packaging is quite unique – it comes with an extra pump separately packed. The one that comes with the bottle is just a screw-on cap.
Now I’ve been having a great experience with Hanyul so far – mostly because of my extremely biased love for Cheon Song Yi (and super delusion that if I use their products, I will miraculously morph into her), but also cos the products are effective without being too harsh. So far, I’m loving their Optimising Serum, Cleanser as well as their Anti-ageing serum.
- Like the other Hanyul products, this comes in a very sensible plastic bottle that isn’t too heavy (and not too light so that it tips over).
- It has an added factor of being hygienic with its separately-packed pump. It’s a nice touch I suppose, but a little on the wasteful side (considering that the moment I fix the pump on, I throw away the other cap). I guess the cap could also serve useful if you’re travelling and don’t want to accidentally dispense any product.
- The texture is really lightweight and is somewhat an emulsion like formula milk powder (this probably explains why the instructions say to shake well before usage).
- It’s very easily spread and easily absorbed cos of its texture.
- And as you can see, there’s no residue – my skin feels hydrated and slightly more bouncy after application.
- It also makes me skin feel a little smoother and not so coarse.
- What I like about this is its scent – it’s a very unique herbal scent with a slight mix of fragrance. In a very weird way, it kinda reminds me of how a concubine of a Chinese emperor would smell like – floral, herby, fragrant and yet gentle.
- The whitening effect is not as obvious as Sulwhasoo’s Snowise Whitening Serum, but it does a decent job is keeping me my skin tone relatively even, healthy-looking and somewhat fair – it’s more of maintenance than an increase/ change in skin fairness.
I’d recommend this for those who are looking for a whitening product that isn’t too harsh on the skin. It’s gentle, helps improve your skin clarity and yet is also moisturising – something that’s not particularly common with whitening products.