Filters are so the in-thing these days – it’s like a socially-acceptable normal person’s solution to fillers and botox. Just tap, tap, tap and heyyyy my cheeks are so plump and cute and my forehead is line-less. Pores? What pores are you talkin’ about? I have none. hoho.
But then again, these only exist when in photos. Once people see you in real life, they’ll know the jig is up. Flawless in photos, floor-first in person I say. And this is the rationale behind The Body Shop’s All-in-One 5-Action Perfector InstaBlur.
Testing it out with Laneige Pore Control BB Cushion
Here’s the ingredients list:
- Polymethyl Methacrylate
- Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil
- Ethylene Brassylate
- Tocopheryl Acetate
Well first of all, what is it? It’s a combination of mattifying powder particles and Vitamin E cream.
- It works by blurring out skin imperfections such as discolouration, blemishes, redness and previous acne battle scars.
- The 5 actions include 12-hour shine control, pore smoothing, blemish hiding, complexion unifying as well as extending the wear time of your makeup.
- To me, it essentially means 2 words – no pores. Or 1 word (pore-less), if you may.
- It’s a primer that makes your skin oh-so-smooth and velvety – it’s the last step after your daily skincare routine, and before you apply your makeup.
- There’s no scent, and it’s a little tough to squeeze outta the tube – it’s not really a liquid, but more of a solidified bunch of almost-powdery molecules.
- A little pea-sized pearl is enough for one cheek – I tend to just apply it to areas where I feel needs pore coverage, but hey, if you want to go all out, be my guest. After all, despite applying several layers, it didn’t cake, and doesn’t feel heavy at all.
- It doesn’t take much blending – the product almost melts into your skin. I’m like “whuttt where did it go?!”
- I know that it didn’t drop off though, cos I can feel a significant improvement in my skin texture – it’s smoothhhh like a baby’s bottom – pore-less, oil-less, and line-less.
- Makeup glides on so much easily, and the InstaBlur doesn’t affect / change the consistency of the makeup by much, cos it’s more of a base rather than something to mix into your foundation/bb.
- It mattifies your face almost instantly, so if you’re looking for some glow, select products that have a dewy finish such as the IOPE Air Cushion XP or Sulwhasoo Evenfair Perfecting Cushion, or dab on some highlighter onto specific spots that you wish to focus on i.e. cheeks, C-zone, nose bridge etc.
- Note that this can be somewhat of a concern for those with drier skin, so slather on some extra moisturiser if you belong to this group.
- In terms of wear time, my makeup did stay on longer by about 10-20% simply cos the pesky pores weren’t secreting as much sebum as they usually did.
- Beauty tip: Now, although it doesn’t feel too cloggy to me, it’s always important to do a proper cleansing. I use Bioderma, Innisfree Juicy Apple Emulsion, Biore Cleansing Wipes, Clarisonic + a foamy cleanser (along with a gentle botanical scrub on alternate days) to avoid pores clogging.
Overall, it’s a really decent primer – it’s easy to apply, doesn’t cake your makeup, and most importantly, hides those icky enlarged pores. Baby’s bottom, anyone?